A remake was released in 2013.
Patrick lies in a coma in a Melbourne private hospital led by Dr. Roget. He had murdered his mother and her lover three years ago by electrocuting them in the bath and has since them been in a state of catatonia.
Patrick, who has psychokinesis powers, falls in love with Kathy, the new nurse at the hospital, communicating with her via an electric typewriter. Patrick also uses his psychokinetic powers to control the men in Kathy's life and to defend himself against the hosital's bitter Matron Cassidy who plots to murder him.
In time, Kathy begins to suspect something is wrong and begins to investigate, while Patrick, realising he is on the verge of dying, plans to die on his terms while taking her with him, too.
- Susan Penhaligon as Kathie Jacqurad
- Robert Helpmann as Dr. Roget
- Rod Mullinar as Ed Jacqurad
- Bruce S. Barry as Dr. Brain Wright
- Julia Blake as Matron Cassidy
- Helen Hemingway as Sister Williams
- Maria Mercedes as Nurse Panicale
- Robert Thompson as Patrick
- Walter Pym as Capt. Fraser
- Frank Wilson as Det. Sgt. Grant
- John P. Boddie as the Multi-Colored Mice
The film was considered a disappoinmet at the Australian box office but was highly successful internationally, selling to over 30 countries and performing well in the US. The film currently holds a 50% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.